Sunday, October 19, 2014

Forgiveness

After many, many years, I finally forgave a relative of mine.  The offense was not a small one and it was committed over and over for years.  It is probably the very offense which caused my need for total autonomy, which does not exist, of course.  I wonder if that person ever got around to forgiving me for my part in our toxic interactions.  I'll never know, as the person preceded me in death.  That speaks to the need for forgiving each other more often and face to face when possible, doesn't it?


I'd like to tell you that the forgiveness lifted a burden from my shoulders.  It did not.  I simply believe it was the right thing to do and that the Almighty is happy I did it.


I've heard it said many times that anger and resentment harm the individual who nurses the feelings, rather than the person who is the target of them.  Frequently, the individual is emotionally consumed by them.  It can affect their entire lives and erode their happiness.  I don't think my anger was that destructive.  In fact, I was probably more hurt than angry.  But it is good, nevertheless, for me to be over it.


Can you forgive others for offenses, large or small?  I hope so.  Many religious people believe it is necessary for our improved relationship with God.







No comments:

Post a Comment