Sunday, November 9, 2014

We Don't Name Teams After Losers

I know I'm in the minority here, but I've never seen the problem with naming ball teams after Native Americans or any other group.  People sure don't name their teams The Washington Losers --  or The Washington Weasels  --  or The Washington Rats, do they?  It seems to me they try to honor their teams by naming them after the most formidable and respected opponents they know.


In any event, I believe the Washington Redskins were named before the age of paranoia and political correctness came into full bloom.  Would the Redskins be the same under any other name?  Hardly.  Neither would they seem as much a part of our sports groups as they do now.


I know, I know  --  some Native Americans get all bent out of shape about being called by a color.  Yet, others of different skin colors might feel revered.  Let's try the Washington White Skins, for instance.  Why don't we honor them?


If you have followed my three blogs the last few years, you will know that I am part Native American, part redskin so to speak.  You do me honor by choosing one of the races within me for your team name.  I know you would not name the team you love after someone you hate.  I can't imagine where that idea originated.

No comments:

Post a Comment