Friday, July 5, 2013

No Two Alike

At a relatively young age, I decided that anyone who has average to above average intelligence can achieve anything they want.  Because of this snow job, I have tried a variety of studies, jobs (careers), hobbies and activities.  With each, I have acquired some success.  At some I have done fairly well.  It remains for history to decide whether I will achieve greatness in any at all.  I shan't hold my breath.

While in school learning how to be a school psychologist, I learned that there are many ways humans can show intelligence and few of them are evaluated on intelligence tests.  Individual intelligence tests are the best measures.  These include those like the Stanford Binet and the Wechsler Intelligence scales and their revised versions.  Group tests tend not to be very valid or reliable.

Some people are given specific gifts such as a voice, an ability to act or the kind of fire that produces art.  These seem to rise to celebrity with the speed of light.  Others envy and/or revere them.  But as a great opera singer once said, he thought he had a gift, a voice, only to find that the voice had him.

All of us have some strengths, some weaknesses.  Even the most academically challenged can make a difference for others. I once was assigned to reevaluate a young man who had been labeled Severe/Profound mentally retarded.  I sat on the floor with him, trying to assess individual behaviors such as holding up his head, using his hands, walking.  I don't remember the answers to these questions.  What I do remember is his charisma.  I was completely charmed by this little guy and have never forgotten him.

Yes, we are each as unique as our fingerprints and our DNA.  We can each achieve some of our dreams.

In fact, for people like my charming little friend, each little step, little achievement is more precious than the giant leaps made by the creative and gifted.  The latter learn despite anyone's efforts.  The former are where the greatest teaching opportunities reside.

Where we fail the most, I think, is in not trying.  You've always had a dream?  It's never too late to start.  When I was an undergraduate, I had a classmate who was in her eighties.  You always wanted to play the piano?  Buy an inexpensive keyboard and a book that teaches adults simplified techniques for learning to play.  Better still, learn to play by ear, by chords, just picking around.  The musician who can play by ear is the one with the real gift.

Just don't waste your life wishing for what could have been.  Turn those dreams into realities and then turn and encourage your neighbors to chase their dreams as well.

We are all uniquely able to succeed at something, if not everything.  The feeling of success by taking tiny different steps is the stuff confidence is made from and we can use this achievement to help the world.  Yes, I'm talking to you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment