Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Who Noticed the Diseased Soul First?

"...You know, there's something missing in you people.  I'm not sure what it is.  It's not enough to call you mean-spirited, or hypocritical, or manipulative, or demagogic.  It's more than that.  First you ride to power by fanning hatred of the poor, blacks, immigrants, and just about everybody else who isn't white and middle-class.  Then you work to actually throw all those people overboard.  . . . What the hell's the matter with you?"  These words were spoken by Robert (Mongo) Frederickson, hero of Dream of a Falling Eagle, speaking to a fictional, though remarkably authentic, Southern conservative Congressman.  The book was written by George C. Chesbro, copyright, 1996


Ever notice how some things seem meant to be?   On Saturday, July 27, I checked out several mysteries from the local library.  The intent was to celebrate my seventy-fifth birthday week in style.  It's quite remarkable how much we can learn even from media meant to entertain.  I'd never read any Mongo mysteries and find it so curious that I selected this particular one just when I was writing articles about Paul Krugman's column claiming there is something wrong with the soul of the Republican Party.

I wrote the article for my religious blog a few days ago.  Today, after I read page 30 of Chesbro's book, I wrote the article for my political blog.  Now here I am on page 84 of the same book, finding that a fictional detective has already spoken the words as well or better than Mr. Krugman and myself -- and Mongo said it first.

Please read all three articles.  Information is as follows:

"Feeding the Poor" at lousdevotes.blogspot.com

"Cold Blooded Rich Men"  louhough.blogspot.com

Then, please reread the above article.

"Who Noticed the Diseased Soul First?"  lousissues.blogspot.com.

Then, note that the current trend is to teach hatred of everybody who is not upper class rather than middle class.

I rest my case -- for now anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment